As soon as you’re done with your SPM, you’re likely to be bombarded with questions like “what are you going to do with your life?” or “where will you be studying at?” Many people at your age haven’t figured out what they want to do with their lives, so you’re not alone. Take this time to enjoy your youth, and explore what you like to do as much as you can. If you’re still unsure of what you’re interested in, check out these five best reasons to choose a pre-university course:
- Improve your English If your English language skills need some brushing up, a pre-U course could be the perfect platform for you to polish your skills. Your college or university will have a different, more diverse environment which allows for better communication between your peers and faculty members and gives you the chance to converse in English. There’ll be people from all walks of life with different levels of English skills, so don’t hesitate to improve it. Unlike speaking English at your school, you won’t be mocked if you try to improve your language skills at your college or university.
- Have the flexibility to choose modules or subjects
Unlike high schools where everything is dictated by the authority, you’ll have more autonomy when you do a pre-U programme. Most pre-U programmes allow for flexibility when it comes to choosing the subjects or modules of your liking, and you also get to decide whether you want to attend classes held in the afternoon or evening. This is perfect if you hate waking up early in the morning!
- ‘Test-drive’ a particular course
Pre-U programmes require you to choose a pathway so you’ll be able to take specific subjects of your choice. However, you may discover that the course isn’t the right one for you during your programme, making it easier for you to transfer or switch courses. Doing so at a pre-U level is cheaper and less complicated compared to finding out what you don’t like during a degree course.
- Have the freedom to apply to any international university
Depending on your pre-U programme, you may be able to apply to any international university in countries such as the UK, the US, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand – the top countries most Malaysian students would choose to go to. If you aspire to study in a particular country, make sure your pre-U programme is based on the country’s learning methods.
- Get the grades needed
If you have some idea of what you want to do when you enter the workforce, you’ve probably figured out which degree course to take. However, you may not meet the minimum entry requirements for the course, and this is where a pre-U qualification comes in handy. It helps you to get the grades you need in order to pursue the degree course of your choice. It also helps you prepare for challenging subjects so you’ll get used to how demanding the course will be.
In addition to specific subjects such as communications, business, law, sciences, or accounting, all pre-U programmes include MQA subjects like Moral Studies and Malaysian Studies, and core subjects that include Maths and English. If all of this sounds awesome to you, you can learn more about pre-university courses in Malaysia. The minimum requirement to enter a pre-U programme is five credits in SPM, with passes in Maths, History, English, and Bahasa Malaysia. Certain pathways like accounting or science require you to meet the specific grade in related subjects.
Education is the foundation of any individual’s future. The quality of education that a person gets during their formative years will ultimately determine how equipped they will be later on to face the challenges of independent life and work. It’s any parent’s goal to make sure their kids get the best education they can afford, and that’s why international schools have become such a popular choice for many parents. In Malaysia, public and private schools have begun to take a backseat to their international counterparts because parents see them as much better options when it comes to their kids’ education and learning. If you’re wondering why you should send your kid to an international school in Malaysia, these three reasons should tell you.
- English as the Main Language – While English is spoken and understood by some in the country, it’s still not quite as widespread. For that reason, Malaysian nationals often find themselves struggling when they go abroad in search of employment, or in the hope of furthering their education. One of the main reasons why parents choose international schools in Malaysia is because of the fact that they use English as their main language during classes. This helps make students more capable of speaking and understanding the language to allow them to settle comfortably into global colleges and work opportunities.
- Different Cultures – Many expatriates that work in Malaysia send their kids to international schools because of the fact that it reduces the risk of culture shock for their children. This is because international schools in Malaysia are known to have a diverse student population, allowing kids from other countries to find students that they can mingle and socialize with sans the culture and language barrier. For Malaysian kids however, this can also prove to be a worthy benefit. Having different cultures around them will allow Malaysian students to get a better understanding of what other people around the globe are like, giving them a more worldly idea of the population.
- Curriculum Follows International Standards – Finally, the biggest reason why parents choose to send their kids to international schools is because the curriculum follows international standards. While public and private schools do offer effective teaching styles and curricula, international schools in Malaysia adopt the patterns of the International Baccalaureate Curriculum. This basically means students are better equipped to compete alongside other students around the world. This is ideal for parents who plan to send their kids to schools abroad once they’ve graduated from international school.
When choosing the right school for your kid, there really is no settling for second best. Be sure to give your child the best future by providing them the right education today. Find out more about international schools available to you, and learn more about where you can send your child to get the best education.
International boarding schools are considered to be one of the best investments for your children’s education, but they can be very expensive. So why choose an international boarding school, when you can send your kids to a day school? These are the top 10 reasons:
- Safety and limited access
International boarding schools have 24-hour security with limited access for outsiders, so no one can easily come and go as they please. This ensures the safety of your children.
- Higher chances to enter prestigious universities Because most international schools offer diverse academic programs, your children stand better chance to enter world-class universities such as Harvard, Stanford, Cambridge, Oxford, or Imperial College.
- Advanced teaching methods
International schools use the latest teaching methods, theories and principles that no day school would normally offer.
- Cultural diversity
Your children will be exposed to different cultures of the world at a young age, which will make their working life a lot better in the future. This also allows them to practice being multilingual.
International schools require their students to learn various languages. Apart from the mother tongue, your children will probably learn English, Chinese, French, Germany, Spanish, or any other languages of their choice. This gives your children an advantage once they enter the working world.
- International study options
Study options available include International Baccalaureate, the British A-Level program, American High School System, Swiss Maturite, French Baccalaureate, or German Arbitur. Your kids could choose which study option they would like to take based on the country where they wish to further their studies.
- Great sports programs and facilities
There will be plenty of amazing sports programs with facilities at international boarding schools. Your children will spend their time in a positive manner as they play sports of their choice, rather than wasting their time getting involved in activities that bring no reward, like watching TV or playing video games.
- Great arts programs and facilities
Your kids will be cultured by learning about arts and taking advantage of the facilities.
- Well stocked libraries and media centers
The libraries and media centers are well stocked with great collection of books and other learning materials.
- Small classes
Your kids will get undivided attention from their teachers, making their learning experience better.
It’s always important to invest in your children’s education. Not only could a good education ensure the security of their future, it would also give your children the advantage of being a cultured, well-rounded individual who could benefit the society.